Who we are.
HPCI (Herts Parent Carer Involvement) CIC Company No 10157697 is the parent carer forum for Hertfordshire. We are a parent carer led organisation which represents the views and experiences of families in order to influence the improvement of services for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (and their families) in Hertfordshire.
We are a “data controller” for the purposes of the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 and The Data Protection Act 1998. This means that we are responsible for deciding what personal information we need to collect from you, how we store it and how we will use it.
We hope that the information set out in the document will give you a better understanding of what we do with your data but if you have any questions please contact: Carol Kelsey, Coordinator, HPCI PO Box 540, Welwyn Garden City AL7 4QD Phone: 07840 360245 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Privacy Promise
We promise to:
- Keep your data safe and private
- Not to sell your data
- Not to share with third parties without your specific permission.
How we collect information about you
We collect information about you so that we can make sure we can contact and inform you in the most appropriate way and tailor the information and events we offer so that they continue to meet the needs of our members and contacts.
We collect information in various ways
- When you join as a member and fill in the registration form
- When you register to attend an event or focus group
- When you phone or email HPCI to ask us a question, request information, provide us with information or make a complaint
- If you volunteer to be a parent representative.
Information we collect and why we use it.
The personal information we collect about you includes details such as your name, address, phone numbers, email address, special needs and year of birth of your children and in the case of parent representatives your bank account number and sort code.
We mainly use this information to do the following:
- Provide you with regular information about SEND (special educational needs and/or disabilities) services, events, support and developments local and national
- Contact you about an HPCI event that you may be attending or have attended
- To keep a record of your membership of HPCI
- To invite you to take part in surveys run by HPCI or outside agencies which we think would be of interest to you
- Pay any expenses due to you as a volunteer parent representative.
Legal basis for using your data
As well as our Privacy Promise your privacy is protected by law.
Data protection law says that we are allowed to use personal information only if we have a proper reason to do so. The law says we must have one or more of these reasons:
- To fulfil a contract we have with you, or
- When it is our legal duty, or
- When you consent to it, or
- When it is in our legitimate interest
A legitimate interest is when we have a business or commercial reason to use your information.
Sharing your information
We will not share your information with a third party without your specific permission.
The exceptional circumstances that would lead to us sharing information without your consent would only be cases where we had to report our concerns about the safety of a child or vulnerable adult or we were legally required to provide information.
We also share limited information with our funders such as how many members we have but this never includes your individual personal information.
Keeping your information safe
Your personal information will be retained by HPCI for as long as we have to by law. If there is no legal requirement we will only store it for as long as we need it.
You should be aware that communications over the internet (such as emails) aren’t secure unless they have been encrypted. We can’t accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
We will keep all the personal information we gather about you until you decide you no longer want to be a member of HPCI or for six months after the date of an event you attended/registered for.
We also hold some of the information in paper records which are kept secure in a locked filing cabinet. Other forms of data that we hold are kept secure using password protection on files and laptops. The staff at HPCI are all trained so that they understand the importance of keeping your personal information secure and confidential and we have procedures in place to ensure the safe processing of your data.
The rights you have in respect of the information we hold and process
Under GDPR you have various rights in respect of the information we hold. These are listed below.
- Access to your personal information: You can access a copy of the information we hold about you, along with what information we use, why we use it, who we share it with and how long we keep it for. You can make this request free of charge by putting the request in writing and providing proof of your identity.
- Right to Object: If we are processing your personal information on the basis of a legitimate interest then you can object if there is a particular reason why you don’t want us to do this.
- Consent: If we are relying on your consent to use personal information (for example to send you emails about our services) then you can withdraw consent at any time.
- Rectification: You can ask us to change or complete any information about you if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Erasure: You can ask us to delete your personal information where it is no longer appropriate for us to hold it.
- Portability: You can ask us to provide you with some of the personal information we hold about you in an electronic form so it can be easily transferred.
- Restriction: You can ask us to stop processing your data while we are acting on a request from you to delete your data or if you have objected to us processing it.
- No automated-decision making: You also have the right to object to automated decision making in certain circumstances. We don’t carry out any automated decision making so we won’t list the details of this right.
If you want to make any of the above requests then please contact Carol Kelsey on email@example.com or by phone on 07840 360245. If you are asking for us to provide you with copies of the data we hold about you, either in paper form or electronically, then we will need the request in writing and you will need to verify your identity.
If you want to make a complaint about our use of your data, then please contact Carol Kelsey using the contact details above.
Policy approved: 21st May 2018